top of page


Job Search Information

Some useful employment websites on-line:


Naki Labour Hire

Venture Taranaki  

Seek NZ  

Trade Me Jobs

NZ Government Jobs

New Kiwis

Career Jet

Programmed Integrated Workforce

GMA International

Dare Contract





The Taranaki Daily News - particularly on Wednesdays and Saturdays
The North Taranaki Midweek - free community newspaper on Wednesdays
The South Taranaki Star - free community newspaper on Thursdays


Employment Agencies and Related Services:

It may be helpful to register with employment agencies as many employers use their services in looking for staff. There is no fee for signing up with these agencies.  Yellow Pages phone directory has a list of employment agencies.

Get help in finding employment:

Career Services
Career Services offers a range of help and services to people who have moved to New Zealand. 
These include:

  • Face-to-face help exploring work and study option

  • Information and advice over the phone or by online chat

  • Online information targeted at migrants and refugees.


Phone: 0800 222 733 or browse Career Services

Work & Income (WINZ):

WINZ can support you while you look for work and can help you find a job that’s right for you.  They also may be able to help you develop your skills through training and other options.  You can also find current vacancies using their online job search site Find A Job

Employee-Employer Rights:

What are my rights as an employee?

Information about holidays, sick leave, tax and resolving disputes can be found at the Employment New Zealand

What are my employer’s obligations & responsibilities?

Information on legal matters related to you and your employer can be found at Employment New Zealand


Job Requirements:

What will you need to get a job? 


You must have:

  1. A resident permit, work permit or variation of conditions which allows you to work on a student or visitor permit. Some employers may be willing to arrange this for you.

  2. An up-to-date CV. A CV tells the potential employer about your education, work experience, and skills.

  3. When required, qualifications approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)


Paying Tax in New Zealand:

For tax, information, application forms or for a tax number contact Inland Revenue

In New Zealand most people pay taxes as they earn their income.  The employers deduct tax on salary and  wages while banks & financial institutions deduct tax on interest.  You will need an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number to pay your taxes. 

What is an IRD number?

An IRD number is a unique identification number from Inland Revenue - and it will last you your whole life.
Your employer and your bank will need your IRD number to take out the correct amount of tax from any money you earn.

Getting an IRD number: 


1. Download an IRD number application - individual (IR595) form or free phone IRD on 0800 227 774 and the IRD will              send you one.
2. Fill in the form and take it along with current supporting documents to an IRD appointed verifier: 


Automobile Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agents, or Post Shops and selected NZ Post retail outlets.


The normal process is for all applications to go through NZ Post or AA for verification of the documents. Once they have done this they send the application to Inland Revenue to allocate the Inland Revenue number. The Inland Revenue numbers are issued within 8-10 working days. 

The requirement is to provide one original and one legible photocopy of one document from Category A 
and one from Category B.  A list of acceptable documents for these categories are found below.

If a person is unable to provide a combination of documentation from Categories A and B they need to provide any of the documents listed in Category C1 as well as a document showing a photo of them.  If a customer is using a C1 document, they must come into an Inland Revenue office.  They do not need an appointment; however there may be a wait during periods of high demand.

The last option is to make an appointment for an interview with Inland Revenue and bring along a Category C2 document. IRD offices are at 54 Gill Street, New Plymouth.

bottom of page